History of the property
Muckrach Country House Hotel was built in 1860 as a Shooting Lodge for the Grouse moor, probably as part of the Seafield estate of Clan Grant. In 1766, Sir James Grant (known as 'the good Sir James'), built Grantown on Spey, on his estate to bring a service centre to the area. Sir John Grant had brought Strathspey into the modern world, promoting a great improvement to living conditions. He sold his fine Edinburgh townhouse to buy grain and distribute among the starving of Strathspey, in response to a severe crop failure and famine in the late 1700's. Big lodges were built for letting to the fishermen and shooting parties, by the 1860's tourism to the area had taken off, due to the rail links to the Highlands. In particular, Queen Victoria is known to have stayed at Castle Grant, due to her love of the area. By 1863 the Grantown Highlands and Grantown Great North railway stations were opened, bringing more services and tourists to the area. Muckrach Country House Hotel has evolved over the centuries, welcoming guests from around the world, for whom Strathspey, the Cairngorms and the Highlands of Scotland hold a special appeal. Shooting parties, fisherman, skiers, walkers, climbers and sightseers have all enjoyed the Victorian splendour and great food offerings at Muckrach Country House Hotel over the years. We look forward to welcoming everyone back again.